Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Change.

I listened in on an interesting conversation last night at the funeral home. Two people were behind me in line. Apparently they had gone to high school together and hadn't seen each other in a while. They were talking about other people they used to go to school with. You know the conversation.

"Have you seen ______________?"
"He looks really good."
"His hair is gray and he keeps it short."

They were talking about this dude that I assume was athletic in high school. I also assume he was a turd. The guy was saying that the jock in question kept asking about people but was not interested in getting in touch with any of them. Apparently he was ashamed of the way he treated people. He would not even go on the Ning site for their old high school. I think they called this guy Ace.


This got me a thinkin'. This dude had obviously changed enough to regret the turd he had been. How much have I changed? I've gained at least the little Jonas brother since 1992. The red beard that I was so proud to have in high school is going white. Time comes after us all. I am not talking about physical change. Have I changed as a person? I don't really think that I have. I ask those of you that have known me for a while, "Have I changed much other than getting prettier?"

Then I wondered if there were people that I would be ashamed to see because I was a turd. Shame makes me say yes. There are people that I made feel like they were less than because I was not always nice. There is at least one guy that could walk up to me all these many years later and punch me in the face and I would step back and say, "Yep, I had that coming." Are there any of those people in your past? People that you would be ashamed to see?

I would like to think I was a good dude who was a turd from time to time. I unfortunately went to school with some people that were turds and could be good from time to time. I would like to think at least one of them is really, really rich and is feeling the compunction to give a million dollars to people they have wronged. Then I will go and buy the people that I was mean to a nice steak dinner at The Golden Corral. I don't feel that bad about it.






5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've known you since 1988.
Yes, your appearance has chaged a lot. Regarding your personality... unfortunately, you haven't changed at all.

Joseph said...

Oh yeah....gout.

Kristi said...

I've known you since 2005 and your weight has fluctuated but you're just as much of a pain now as you were then... But I still think you're great. :)

Fatso.

P.S. Your dog is really cute but she bit me A LOT!

Unknown said...

You and Shawn have known each other long enough to grow an adult Ben.

Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Oh, and to answer the question... Well, as far as highschool is concerned, I've changed a little. As far as Junior high is concerned, you wouldn't recognize me.