Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Things I wouldn't admit to when I was 17.

There are things I can admit now that I'm 36 (with 37 just around the corner) that I would never have admitted to when I was 17.  One of the most unfortunate things about being a 17 year old male in Western society is an oppressively need to be cool.  This sad fact may be a fact across cultures.  Imagine 17 year old Adibi from some random tribe in Africa.  He is going to do whatever it takes to look good and be the man in order to secure a mate.  He'll have to kill a lion or walk across the desert or something dangerous and manly.  17 year old Joseph on the other hand has to keep the appearance of cool.  Lest he look like less than a man.  The following is a list of things I would never have admitted to way back when.


1. I really liked the musical stylings of Tiffany and Debbie Gibson.

























2. I wanted more than anything in this world to be Wolverine.  Not the Wolverine from the movies.  He cries.  No the one from the comic books.  He would go into a rage and black out and people would pay for messing with him.



























3. There were times when I just wouldn't feel pretty.
4. This was my favorite girl from 90210.












5. I loved "Dirty Dancing".  Note: If I had a daughter who was dating a man much older than herself without my knowledge or consent I would be peeved.  If that older guy looked at me and said, "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." I would downsize his face with a framing hammer.











There are probably other things but I am going to leave those alone.  With the exception of #2 the rest add up to one thing: When I was 17 I was actually a 14 year old girl. 

No comments: